Pages

May 1, 2012

Creative Bent

Had my butt kicked by a painting last week, reworked it so many times I lost count.  In the end I decided that where I wanted to go with it and where it was willing to go were two different things.  So the canvas is in the process of drying as it begins a new metamorphous into something other than what I originally intended.  We will see how the painting of it actually goes.  It's acquired some heft due to all the layers of paint and gesso :-)

It's a lesson in the willfulness of creativity, well at least 'my' creative bent.  Obviously my creative self won't be bullied around if it's not feeling it, I might as well stop and listen to that inner voice instead of endlessly trying to get it to line up with what I think should be happening on that canvas!

Artist/Author Michele Cassou would advice me thus,
"When I started to paint intuitively, I was determined to explore my freedom to its limits... I discovered the physical reality of my creativity. I observed and studied it; the creative force was definitively tangible...The mind--the Dragon of Product--incessantly demands instruction, parameters, anything with a direction so it won't have to surrender to intuition...Let your images and colors unfold at their own rhythm. It is not your job to choose what is next, but to respond from your heart."

That's a lot to think about, and seems to be lining up with my experience in the studio last week.  So here's to painting form the heart!  Seems to be something that Flora Bowley lives by as well.  Just got her new book in the mail and am looking forward to reading and learning with Flora
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...